Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Starting From Scratch

6 years ago I graduated from Ohio State with big dreams of being a big time producer. I got a job (after a few months) in television working as a producer... 5 years later I had gained a lot of weight. It doesn't help that you sit for 10 hours a day... and that I ate a lot of fast food, never exercised, and worked overnights. Needless to say, it wasn't the best thing for staying in shape. But... sadly it didn't really matter. See, since you are not a face for the station, you can be fat, wear jeans and sweatshirts to work... and I got lazy when it came to my work. But that is all in the past.

After I was laid off I took some real stock in what was going on in my work life. And I decided I really didn't want to be working crazy overnight hours for little pay 10 years from now (and yes, people in tv who are not anchors DO NOT make a lot of money). So, I decided to start a new career on the other side of tv... in public relations. I THOUGHT it would be an easy transition... after all I was the person who public relations companies tried to schmooze so we would cover their stories... but alas, nothing.

I finally broke down and contacted a friend/contact of mine who owns her own small PR firm... and she offered me a position as an intern. It's unpaid, but the experience is worth millions! Heck, my future career pretty much depends on this 3 -4 month stint as a PR intern.

But here's the thing... in PR... looks matter. I will be representing the companies that hire us to promote their event. And so it has become even more important to kick this goal of being fit into gear! Also... I need to actually do my hair and makeup in the morning! I'm excited... this is something I need to do both for my career and also as a goal for weight loss. So... wish me luck in my new endeavor!!!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome you got an internship! Very happy for you!! And good luck with your weight loss, I hope you have more success than I've been having lately...

    ReplyDelete